Thursday, February 23, 2006

Basic Spanish for Travellers

Learning a few words of foreign language when visiting abroad is always helpful to get you around especially when you ask for direction, buying basic stuff like mineral water or stamps, getting cigarettes from 7-11 or when you get on public transportation. Learning basic greetings such as hello, how are you, see you again, thank you and good night do not only show that you are courteous to the host but also it shows appreciation to the people and culture of that country.

During my visit to Paris and some other places in France has taught me a lesson or two. Before my visit there, I had heard that the French are quite snobbish and they are not willing to response when asked unless you said it in French - which is true though. So I learn a few phrases in French. A few times I got lost my way in Paris so that bring me no choice but to ask for direction. The tactic that I used was to say (in broken French) - excuso mour silvo plait, palle vour jerna comprampa de francais, angley noh (meaning, excuse me please, I can't speak French, English okay?). When the French say okay by nodding, then I ask in English. They always at hand to help and that's marvellous. I love the French!!

Here are some basic spanish conversation if you are visiting spanish-speaking countries in your upcoming holiday abroad.

Good Morning: Buenos Días
Good Afternoon: Buenas tardes
Do you speak English: Habla ingles
I don´t speak Spanish: No hablo español
I am lost: Estoy perdido
What time is it: Que hora es?
The bill please: La cuenta por favor
How much is it: Cuanto cuesta?
Right: Derecha
Left: Izquierda
Could you help me: Podría ayudarme?
Nice to meet you: Mucho gusto
Thanks: Gracias
You are welcome: Con mucho gusto
I want a beer : Una cerveza por favor
Can I smoke: Puedo fumar?

3 Comments:

At 8:09 AM, Blogger jasonjay said...

hello eddie, Thanks for dropping by, love to see you blog hopping into my blog again. Good Day!

 
At 2:04 AM, Blogger Hello Kitty said...

Hi,

Tomorrow I have to give basic Spanish lesson for traveller,I dont have any idea how and what to teach but these tips of yours help me a lot...I am not a Spanish but these people just thought since I am an effective teacher for other languages then they thought I am also effective teacher for Spanish travellers...Its a matter of guts..
I believe these tips can help a lot and enough to survive in Spain...Hello Kitty van Coendersborg,Nederlands

 
At 2:05 AM, Blogger Hello Kitty said...

Hi,

Thank you very much....Hello Kitty van Coendersborg Nederlands....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home